(Solved): ABS 360 Quiz 8 : Pruning | Jul 25 at 1:30am | Score for this quiz: 25 out of 25...
Quiz 8: Pruning
Started: Jul 25 at 1:30am
Score for this quiz: 25 out of 25
Question 1 2 pts
Reasons for pruning woody plants include
- Controlling or directing growth
- Promoting fruit or flower production
- Removing dead or diseased branches
- All of the above
Question 2 2 pts
An example of a tree with an excurrent growth habit is a
- Chinese elm
- Blue palo verde
Question 3 2 pts
Which of the following pruning strategies should be used to create a shrub with a formal appearance?
- Crown removal
- Crown reduction
- Crown boxing
Question 4 3 pts
Training a young tree lowers the probability of corrective pruning later on as the tree matures.
Question 5 2 pts
The proper pruning tool to use when branches are smaller than 1" in thickness, but larger than 3/8" in thickness is:
- Pole saw
- Chain saw
- Hand held pruners
Question 6 2 pts
Removal of large trees limbs with a pruning saw is most safely and correctly accomplished by standing on a ladder and using a single cut at the branch junction.
Question 7 2 pts
The best time of year to prune flowering shrubs like oleander that flower on new wood is
- anytime of year
- in the late winter or later February
- during September and October
- during monsoon season
- frequently, usually every 4 to 6 weeks to keep growth in check
Question 8 2 pts
Natural or informal pruning involves:
- The frequent, but not regular removal of new growth, typically every 3 to 5 weeks.
- The infrequent, but not regular removal, removal of stems of different lengths and depths within the shrub canopy using mostly heading cuts.
- The use of hand saw to remove only a few larger stems or branches.
- The infrequent, but regularly planned removal of new stems and branches, most often once per year, making thinning cuts all of the same length.
Question 9 2 pts
A Texas ranger shrub that has been regularly and frequently pruned with heading cuts
- is considered formally pruned.
- has been pruned in an informal manner.
- has been crown raised.
- exhibits excurrent growth habits.
Question 10 2 pts
A practice called "topping" is the best way to reduce the overall size of a tree. Because of this regular, topping of trees should be done every late winter, especially when large trees have been planted in small residential and commercial landscapes.
Question 11 2 pts
When pruning palm trees it is important to __________________________________________________.
- never remove more fronds than the palm tree produces in one year
- prune the palm so that the wind cannot damage or dessicate the palm.
- always remove all the meristems so that the time until the next time the palm will need to be pruned is lengthened.
- only remove the dead, brown fronds and never prune green, living fronds until after they die which usually takes 3 to 5 years.
Question 12 2 pts
Always apply non-toxic latex white pruning paint to pruning wounds immediately after the pruning job has been completed in order to prevent entry of diseases into the plant tissue and facilitate healing of the pruning wound.