(Solved): COM 259 Lesson 2 Quiz ...
COM 259 Lesson 2 Quiz
1 of 25
Atitudes A person’s leaned likes and dislikes
1 out of 1
2 of 25
While diversity in the workplace is a positive factor, _________is always negative.
- specialized language
- intercultural communication
3 of 25
Of the following suggestions for improving intercultural communication, which was NOT mentioned in
- Understand your own perspectives.
- Respect others' perspectives.
- Always acknowledge weakness in your home culture.
- Act in ways that ensure conflict stemming from diversity produces positive results.
4 of 25
The four areas of strategic communication are goal setting, situational knowledge, communication competence, and presentational style.
5 of 25
Goals for communication should be
- positive, vague, and flexible.
- specific, positive, and fixed.
- general, high, and flexible.
- specific, high, and flexible.
6 of 25
To know how an organization strategically distributes power, resources, and rewards in its daily functions is to understand its
- group processes.
7 of 25
Having a complete knowledge of diverse cultures is possible.
8 of 25
Communication competence means
- knowing the rules of the organization.
- communicating the right message appropriately and effectively by choosing the appropriate message channel.
- tricking people into thinking you know what you are talking about.
- using the appropriate message.
9 of 25
Where differences in communication occur and when expectations are different between communicators, which of the following is/are likely to occur?
- Communication conflict
- All of the above
10 of 25
Values A person’s deep cultural assumptions that affect all areas of life
1 out of 1
11 of 25
Which of the following characteristics will NOT result in positive communication behavior between culturally diverse people?
- Identifying the sites of conflict
- Analyzing oneself, the event, and the context
- Passively communicating in a noninteractive style
- Understanding and prioritizing agenda items for both parties
12 of 25
Jargon The linguistic shorthand used by people in a particular trade or profession
1 out of 1
13 of 25
Most speakers are anxious in at least some situations.
14 of 25
The ability to communicate both appropriately and effectively with other people is referred to as adaptive learning.
15 of 25
The Cultural Communication Conflict Triangle assumes that communication is constantly in flux.
16 of 25
Beliefs A person’s judgments about right and wrong
1 out of 1
17 of 25
Why is having an understanding of communication anxiety an important component of the strategic communication process?
- Communicating effectively with even the slightest amount of anxiety is discouraged.
- Having any amount of communication anxiety will prevent a person from becoming a strategic communicator.
- Managing anxiety is not as important as identifying the source of the anxiety.
- Learning how to manage anxiety in different contexts greatly enhances a person's ability to develop effective communication strategies.
18 of 25
Improving communication flexibility and tolerance for ambiguity enhances communication competence.
19 of 25
Cross cultural Communication Communication between two culture
1 out of 1
20 of 25
What three processes can organizations use to determine shared values?
- A list created by upper management, focus groups, and employee questionnaires
- Focus groups, consultants, and employee questionnaires
- Consultants, public relations specialists, and a list created by upper management
- Focus groups, consultants, and public relations specialists
21 of 25
Total knowledge and complete understanding of another culture is
- common if the cultures are similar in religious beliefs.
- needed for successful communication to occur.
- damaging to a person's self perspective.
22 of 25
Maintaining candor, avoiding deception, keeping messages accurate, and maintaining consistent behavior are some guidelines for sustaining
- communication values.
- political behavior.
- ethical communication.
- goal directed behavior.
23 of 25
When using the proper terms to identify people who are members of different groups, _________ promotes positive communication and provides insights into others' perspectives.
- prejudicial meaning
- stereotyping behavior
24 of 25
George has very negative preconceptions about certain groups of people, various activities, and specific locations in town. George is functioning out of his __________, which are negative stereotypes.
- preconceived perceptions
25 of 25
Values and ethics are always the same.